Click here to play music

Magical World

Wouldn't it be lovely if, with just a twitch of the nose, life, or any aspect of it could be changed. Instead, positive changes always seem to involve tremendously hard work, determination, and endless setbacks. How lovely it would be to have the powers of Samantha Stephens.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Thursday

I awoke at 4:30 and wished for more sleep. I lay in bed for another hour, listening to Darrin snore contentedly-- I was envious. I got up when the alarm went off an hour later, did my morning routine and went for a run. I came home an hour later, just in time to see a city road crew, complete with backhoe and dumptruck, pull up in front of my house. It seems a water pipe had sprung a leak. We all took very hasty showers before the water was shut off.

I took the kids to school, came home and canceled my morning piano lessons. The noise was too loud to teach. I added to my blog, checked email, and practiced. Darrin, Jr. came home for lunch, but couldn't find anything he wanted to eat. I called Darrin and told him about the water being shut off and suggested he take Darrin, Jr. to lunch. He wanted me to go, too, but I had a noon appointment with a client, and a rehearsal from 1:00-3:00, so they went without me.

I realized that I haven't ever mentioned that my boss is my dad. That's why I get away with calling my own hours, etc. As long as the work gets done on time and with exceptional quality, I can pretty much work when I want. Also, I'm in the process of becoming a partner, so my role in the company will become larger in the next few months. My dad has wanted me to do this for a few years, but I've never been ready till now. I think finally working through a lot of the emotional baggage and dealing with the past abuse in my life, over the past few months has really helped me be more ready to take risks, so I've finally accepted the partnership offer.

My dad and I met with our client--who happens to be Larry--at noon. We are all very good friends, and I had to keep saying, "STAY ON TASK--I have a rehearsal in an hour!" I left Larry and my dad chatting, and I was still about 5 minutes late to rehearsal. We had a WONDERFUL practice. Things are coming together nicely. I'm going to cut one of my longer solos. It's just too long, and I'm tired when it's finished--but still have more pieces to play. I've been much less stressed since making that decision. This will be a fun concert. THREE MORE DAYS!!

I came home and relaxed with my kids. We talked for awhile, then Adam decided he needed to call Grandpa (Darrin's dad) because he needed some information about a Spanish holiday (Darrin's family is from Spain). Grandpa talked with all the kids, then I spoke with my father-in-law for a few minutes. He's still recovering from a stroke he had in October. Sometimes his speech is a little difficult to understand. He'd like to come visit this summer. I told him he's welcome anytime--and he is! My father-in-law is one of the good people of the world. Darrin is very much like him.

I called Darrin's aunt in New York, to see if she wants to take the kids for a week in July, while Darrin and I are in Las Vegas. She was ecstatic. She's been trying to get the kids out there (without me!) for over a year. That will give Darrin and I some alone time, even though for him, it's a business trip.

We had dinner in front of the TV (which I NEVER allow on school nights), so we could watch our overdue copy of "Flight of the Phoenix". It was alright, but had a rather corny ending. I never could figure out why the bad guys were attacking, or what they wanted. Strange movie. The kids went to bed at 8:45. I wrote in my blog, and Darrin and I retired at 10:00.

1 Comments:

  • At Saturday, April 08, 2006 8:26:00 AM, Blogger Samantha said…

    I'm so glad my words to you were well received. They were sincere.

    So, may I ask you this--are Spaniards (the men) tyipically shorter (between 5'6" and 5'10"), dark, olive complected, heavier facial features, mesomorphs? I realize I'm generalizing, but all the Spaniard men I'm met from Darrin's family and pretty much all their friends, as well, are like this. They're not big men, but they wear a size 16.5"-17" collar, and they can pack on muscle like breathing.

    And did you like the Spanish food? My mother-in-law keeps giving me saffron, which is wildly expensive, but I'm not greatly fond of it. Darrin uses it when he cooks, but we have an ABUNDANCE of this spice. It retails for about $215 per ounce. I feel a little guilty letting it sit in my fridge.

    Obviously, I'm not Spanish. I don't even KNOW what I am--mostly English/Scottish, I think. But Darrin's family is pretty proud of their heritage, and the genetics are obvious in my children.

    Someday, I'm thinking we'll all go visit "the homeland." Darrin's mom keeps pushing us to do it. I just tell her we'd love to go anytime she purchases the airfare. Hasn't happened yet! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker