Click here to play music

Magical World

Wouldn't it be lovely if, with just a twitch of the nose, life, or any aspect of it could be changed. Instead, positive changes always seem to involve tremendously hard work, determination, and endless setbacks. How lovely it would be to have the powers of Samantha Stephens.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Some People Never Learn--Part III

One would think, given the physical pain I went through last month, that I would swear off falling down. It makes sense that I would avoid situations where such a thing could happen, and that I'd be a little more careful. However, as I am a person who nearly always gets caught up in the moment, this was not only predictable, but inevitable.

As part of our activity tonight, we decided to play tunnel tag. That's the game where if you're tagged, you stand with your legs apart, and can be "unfrozen" when another person crawls between your legs. Actually, it's a pretty stupid game, but very fun when played with young women, ranging in age from 12-17.

There were certain things contributing to the problematic nature of my participation (not including my age).
1. My footgear was inappropriate (flip-flops--what else could it be?).
2. I decided to go barefoot.
3. I love to run.
4. I'm smaller and faster than most of the others.
5. I love to play.
6. I'm an idiot.

At one point, when I was "it", I was chasing a 12-year-old. She left the grass area and ran onto the pavement and sidewalk. My feet were already slightly bloody (okay, more than slightly) because I'd been running on the decorative and very sharp landscaping rocks, chasing and tagging young women. That 12-year-old was the only one left. My foot hit a stray pebble on the sidewalk in just the right place--the pebble rolled, and I biffed it in spectacular fashion. I got lovely scrapes on my hands and arms. Thank goodness my chest cushioned the fall (yes--that WAS sarcasm)!!

Of course, I HAD to do this with an audience. One should never fall unless there are others present to appreciate the fact that "some people never learn". One sedate grown-up suggested I should act less like the girls, more like their leader. I ignored him as I inspected the 6-inch long, 4-inch wide sidewalk scrape on my arm. I don't have a Band-aid that large.

The worst pain, other than my pride (which I think will never recover), is in my feet. Running barefoot over sharp rocks, pavement, and concrete has them bruised and bleeding. I'm not sure I'll be able to run tomorrow. I should have thought this through a little more carefully. Perhaps that erudite adult was right--I need to grow up.

3 Comments:

  • At Thursday, July 13, 2006 9:03:00 AM, Blogger Beck said…

    When I was a youth leader, I did some pretty stupid things that I otherwise never would have done - including breaking several ribs and not being able to sleep without propped up by pillows in a sitting position for a couple of months - long story.

    But, even doing those stupid things, I look back and cherish those moments spent in helping to serve, mold and nurture those youths... and years later, that service comes back in so many ways as blessings ten fold!!!

     
  • At Thursday, July 13, 2006 9:48:00 AM, Blogger That One Guy said…

    Lemme guess-- the dude who said you should be acting more like their leader was wearing a tie.

    Just a hunch.

     
  • At Thursday, July 13, 2006 1:46:00 PM, Blogger Samantha said…

    Actually, no tie--but he WAS older than I am. I think he's just jealous because I run faster and fall harder than he does--in every way!! :)

    I think, the day before I die, I'll probably be playing tag with my grandkids. That may be the REASON for my death.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker