Click here to play music

Magical World

Wouldn't it be lovely if, with just a twitch of the nose, life, or any aspect of it could be changed. Instead, positive changes always seem to involve tremendously hard work, determination, and endless setbacks. How lovely it would be to have the powers of Samantha Stephens.

Friday, January 26, 2007

Friday

Sleep is so good.

Tabitha mentioned to me this morning that I seem "more excited all the time." She's right. I am. A side-effect of finally sleeping through the night is a return of the almost limitless energy I used to enjoy most of the time. Anyone who's had the misfortune of chatting or talking with me on the phone in the past few days would have to admit that I've become enthusiastic about everything from brands of toilet paper to proper posture--nothing is boring to me. Tabitha also expressed a bit of regret. Her words: "Well, it's been nice for the last few weeks to be able to sit next to you at Sacrament Meeting without having to ask you to sit still. I guess that won't happen this week?" Nope, probably not. I hope she doesn't take away my toys either.

Last night Sully and Annie joined us for dinner. Sully was helping me cook--his job: whip some cream. He was very thorough--and got splatters all over my countertop, kitchen window, himself and me. The habitual cleaner in me started wiping things off--only to have the clean spots spattered once again. Last week I probably would have thanked him for his help and finished the job for him. This time, my normal predilection to giggle at everything kicked in, and I leaned back against the counter and laughed helplessly as the mess got larger. It felt so good not to be stressed about the little things.

My verbal capacity is returning to normal--although I still have moments when I absolutely cannot recall the proper word or person's name. However, I was able to win our Boggle game last night by finding the word "plimsoll (with all it's spelling variants)", which is possibly a proper noun (but I don't think it is) which might not be acceptable. But my opponents all surrendered anyway, and I was pretty amazed that I found more than one five letter word, since, for the last couple of months, I've been limited to smaller word recognition while my poor brain begs for sleep.

As can be expected, I did extensive research on the effects of lack of sleep while that was my state of being. While verbal skills definitely suffer, it seems that math calculation abilities are enhanced--something I found to be true for me. I've completed several complicated returns more quickly than usual, and when I had the figures checked by a couple of associates in the same field there were no errors. Not that I plan to cut back on sleep for the rest of tax season, but it's nice to know there was a little perk in my sleep deficit.

Now that I'm able to talk once again about a variety of subjects, Darrin has remarked that it's good to be able to have a conversation with me--he's been missing our evening talks (imagine!! a straight man missing conversation!! he really is an honorary gay guy, no question about it), and he even asked me out on a date. I'll probably say yes if he brings me flowers.

Some very good friends have suggested that I stay in this state, relax, gather strength, and take things slowly before barrelling into the next obstacle. I think I'll do that--at least for today. Tomorrow, however, I may need to go find the next horrible thing...and conquer, prevail against, subdue, triumph over, and master it. After all, if one waits too long to use those newly developed muscles, they atrophe. We can't have that, now, can we?




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker