Click here to play music

Magical World

Wouldn't it be lovely if, with just a twitch of the nose, life, or any aspect of it could be changed. Instead, positive changes always seem to involve tremendously hard work, determination, and endless setbacks. How lovely it would be to have the powers of Samantha Stephens.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Friday

This actually begins on Thursday night. At Messiah rehearsal I was feeling tired, a little under the weather, not quite my usual happy self (really, I am happy most of the time. I'm that way because I dump all my less-than-happy thoughts on this lovely blog, and then my life is really quite wonderful). I kept napping in between pieces. When I got home, Darrin reminded me that I hadn't eaten that day, and fixed me dinner--which I ate, because one should always indulge a loving spouse. Then I went to bed.

Friday morning I woke feeling even less well. I went to seminary, bungled through a lesson, because my mind was wandering and my stomach felt sick. After seminary, I drove my daughter's carpool, went home, and have very little idea of what happened after that. I recall losing the contents of my stomach and I know I slept because I have a vivid recollection of a snake-squirrel living in the wall above my entertainment center. It leapt/slithered down to land on Darrin, then joined me on the couch where I was sleeping. Thankfully, the phone rang and I was able to wake up, recognize the impossibility of a snake-squirrel, and realize that Darrin was still at work.

I believe I chatted online with a few people, because I've seen the message history. My apologies to all of you. I don't recall arising from the couch, but obviously I did, since I have the virtual proof available. Actually, most of the conversations seem lucid, which is a blessing. I also managed to e-mail about seven people (again, no recollection of this), and pay some online bills (with the correct amounts--amazing). I awoke around 6:30 p.m., hearing Adam and DJ whispering that they'd never seen me sleep so much before. Adam wondered if I was dead, and stood with his hand in front of my nose for a few minutes to make certain I was still breathing. I really need to remind him to wash his hands more frequently.

My dad had come at some point during the day. He brought me ginger ale. I have a hazy recollection of him telling me that we just got a new account and I'd have a bunch of paper work to draw up on Monday. After he left I drank some ginger ale--which was a mistake.

Adam and DJ watched in awe as I emptied my stomach around 7:30 p.m. They've never seen me throw up before. Adam commented that I'm much quieter about it than Darrin is, and he was pretty impressed that I didn't need anyone to hold back my hair, pat me on the back or anything. There is nothing better than an appreciative audience when one is barfing one's guts out.

Around midnight I woke up again. Darrin had gotten me some Coke (caffeine free, of course. He figured I should avoid that since I'd been sleeping for about sixteen hours). He suggested I try some, so I did. It threatened to make a second appearance around 1:00 a.m., but thankfully, did not. I slept the night through.

I'm taking a poll on the best invalid foods. What works best, tastes best, won't make me yak? Please, please, please tell me.

4 Comments:

  • At Saturday, December 09, 2006 2:51:00 PM, Blogger Sully said…

    Oh no! Samantha, I'm so sorry you're sick. I hate to put pressure on you, but if we lose our principal violinist to pregnancy (which we will!) and you to the stomach flu, we will have lost all hope! I'm praying that you get better, mostly for you, partly for the desperate Messiah crew...

    Hmm...my sister has been vomiting for weeks and weeks due to morning sickness, and I don't know what foods stay down the best for her. Saltines, maybe, and sprite. I don't know. Good luck.

    And congratulations on being a quiet vomiter. I'm impressed. :)

     
  • At Saturday, December 09, 2006 10:52:00 PM, Blogger Th. said…

    .

    Applesauce has been working over here.

     
  • At Sunday, December 10, 2006 1:00:00 PM, Blogger G'pa Bob said…

    Soft, non-oily, and non-acid. Applesauce, saltines, and sprite are excellent as has been mentioned. Not much of a diet but it is only for a few days.

    Keep trying for several glasses of water per day. Makes things come up easier and keeps dehydration at bay.

    When the vomiting stops get back to fruits (bannana and/or your favorites) for rebuilding the body and the best of your normal diet.

    Very best wishes, Samantha,
    G'pa Bob

     
  • At Monday, December 11, 2006 7:17:00 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Well, I'm a little late on this, so I hope you're feeling much better - but in case you're not, saltines and 7Up. Lots of people have told me that 7Up has something in it that reduces nausea - something not found in other drinks, including Sprite. I have no idea whether or not this is true - my guess is probably not - but you never know. Also, ginger snaps. My sister's OB told her to eat ginger snaps for morning sickness.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker