Click here to play music

Magical World

Wouldn't it be lovely if, with just a twitch of the nose, life, or any aspect of it could be changed. Instead, positive changes always seem to involve tremendously hard work, determination, and endless setbacks. How lovely it would be to have the powers of Samantha Stephens.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Junior High

Today I accompanied a junior high school choir which had a substitute director. Naturally the students were all immature and obnoxious. I remembered all the reasons I avoid seventh through ninth graders in a substitute teaching situation. There were a couple of personal things that drove this avoidance compulsion home with great force:
1. One delightful young man placed his bottle of water, now empty except for an inch of backwash in the bottom, on top of the piano, then clumsily knocked it over and it spilled all over my hands and legs. He tried to help clean it up which was a little awkward considering that the spill was on my person. When he had finished trying to make amends I ran to the bathroom to wash my hands...ick...backwash...ick...ick...
2. One very tall, lovely young woman walked over to me during a song. Her comment: "I'm just going to stand here and watch you play. I can't sing today. I'm sick." SICK???? Why are you here? Please don't stand by me! I asked her to move slightly behind me so I could see the director. She complied and punctuated the rhythm of the piece with a very juicy cough. ACK!! Don't cough on me!! Cover your mouth!! EEEWWWWW!!!!!

I believe I have gotten a better cardiovascular work-out from shuddering and flinching than I did from my run this morning. I'm still shuddering. Nasty. Note to self: Avoid accompanying choirs.

I'm finished pouting about opinions of stupid people. I have reinstated the NOT-blasphemous, NOT-sacrilegious post. I am not reinstating the stupid comments (only the one from The Great -L- remains, because he is a superhero, and it's bad luck to offend people who can overpower you) --IT'S MY BLOG! I'LL DO WHAT I WANT!! I never removed this one in the first place because I think it's a very good idea, and I'm wishing it were true. Life would be better if I had, indeed, made everything up.

So, I took the advice of Ken Gobiddles to heart--letting go of my knee-jerk reaction so that I don't mirror the behavior of the lovely junior high students I spent time with this morning. I suppose that being as short (or shorter) than they are doesn't mean I must be equally as reactionary or obnoxious. And so, dear e-mail people, I've allowed you your say and now I'll continue to have mine.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker