Click here to play music

Magical World

Wouldn't it be lovely if, with just a twitch of the nose, life, or any aspect of it could be changed. Instead, positive changes always seem to involve tremendously hard work, determination, and endless setbacks. How lovely it would be to have the powers of Samantha Stephens.

Sunday, March 26, 2006

C.S. Lewis is One of My Heroes

Every once in awhile I stumble across the writings of an author which really speak to my soul. Even though I may not agree with everything said, if it makes me THINK, I love it. Mr. Lewis is one of those authors. I began living with the chronicles of Narnia when I was nine. I can't count the number of times I have re-read the books. As I got older I branched out into his more mature works, and I have collected some of my favorite phrases/sayings. Because of the response to the first quote I posted, I am including some more C.S. Lewis here. See if you love these, as well.


"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained."
--Answers to Questions on Christianity


"You must not do, you must not even try to do, the will of the Father unless you are prepared to 'know of the doctrine'."
--Surprised by Joy


"Poetry too is a little incarnation, giving body to what had been before invisible and inaudible."
--Reflections on the Psalms


"When you are arguing against Him you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all."
--Mere Christianity


"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."
--Mere Christianity


"We live, in fact, in a world starved for solitude, silence, and private: and therefore starved for meditation and true friendship."
--The Weight of Glory


"[God] is not proud...He will have us even though we have shown that we prefer everything else to Him."
--The Problem of Pain


"Christ died for men precisely because men are not worth dying for; to make them worth it."
--The World's Last Night

And this one was written especially for me:
"Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one...Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker